Gallery of Saints & Sinners from our Daily Bleed...
Ireland: The Limerick Soviet of 1919.
Cited in the Daily Bleed April 12, 1919.The trades council called a general strike & for the next two weeks ran the city. No shop opened without their permission. Food prices were regulated to stop profiteering. Only transport authorised by the council was able to move through the city. Printing presses were taken over to explain their case & a daily bulletin was produced. The council even issued its own money. British soldiers were called on to desert their "imperialist capitalist government". It is said that a whole Scottish regiment was sent home for refusing to obey orders.
"The workers ruled the city, produced newspapers, issued their own currency & won world-wide publicity..."
- The best book on the Limerick Soviet is Liam Cahill's Forgotten Revolution: Limerick Soviet 1919. See short review, http://www.ireland-today.ie/limericksoviet.html
- Introductory piece to the Limerick Soviet in the article, When the Red Flag flew in Munster: A hidden history of sympathy strikes, socialism, workers' councils & revolution, http://au.spunk.org/texts/pubs/ws/ws51/sp001680/ws51_munster.html
- A short piece with additional graphics, "Limerick Soviet 1919 - 80th Anniversary", http://www.limericklife.com/History/Limerick_soviet.htm
- The Limerick Soviet is cited in an excellent site devoted to General Strikes globally, http://www.dnai.com/~figgins/generalstrike/europe/ireland.html
- The Limerick Soviet is included in the Irish History on the Web page, at their page on "Radical, Labor & Leftist Irish History", with many links, http://wwwvms.utexas.edu/~jdana/history/radical.html
- An excellent site which includes the Limerick Soviet, with similar & more contemporary events & issues, & a plethora of useful links is The War In Ireland page, http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/2419/warindx.html
- "Towards a Labour history of Ireland" provides a relevant timeline of Irish history, with informative links, http://flag.blackened.net/revolt/ireland_history.html
- Aileen O'Carroll's, The Limerick Soviet of 1919, provides notes for a talk she gave, at http://flag.blackened.net/revolt/talks/limerick.html
- See also Frank Prendergast's, "The Limerick Soviet " -- a review article, p92-96., NORTH MUNSTER ARCHAEOLOGICAL JOURNAL, volume XXXIV (1992)http://larkspirit.com/bookshop/categories/socialism.html
- Liam Cahill's book Forgotten Revolution: Limerick Soviet 1919 was reviewed in Socialist Review #133.
Use your back button to return to your previous page
FastCounter by LinkExchange
The Anarchist Encyclopedia Index
Daily Bleed Calendar
anti-CopyRite1997-3000, more or less
Questions, suggestions, additions, corrections to David Brown at email@example.com